Lion’s Mane

Lion’s Mane (Hericium erinaceus) is a shaggy mushroom that grows on deciduous hardwood trees. It can be found in the Fall, and it looks like an upside down mop head or a Muppet-version of Cousin It.

Lion’s mane is delicious when sauteed, baked or added to soups.

As a medicinal mushroom, it is best-known for its effects on cognitive function.

Actions & Benefits: antibacterial, anticarcinogenic, antidiabetic, hypotensive, anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, immune amphoteric, and nootropic.

Nootropic is another world for neuro-regenerative. It promotes nerve growth & repair, which supports memory and protects the brain from injury & toxins, and prevents neuro-degenerative conditions. Traditionally lion’s mane was considered a whole body tonic that nourishes the organs and promotes overall strength & vigor.

Studies have shown lion’s mane to protect against stroke, Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, depression, dementia, nerve damage, gastritis and gastric ulcers* (Christopher Hobbs).

Its anti-inflammatory, immuno-modulating and liver protective properties make lion’s mane appropriate for a variety of ailments, including gastric ulcers, cancer, autoimmune disorders, diabetes, high cholesterol, chronic fatigue and neurodegenerative diseases.* Most medicinal mushrooms will prevent these same conditions, but what makes lion’s mane unique is its effect on nerve growth & repair, which is attributed to the constituents known as hericenone & erinacine.

Safety: the only contraindication is a mushroom allergy. Lion’s mane and most medicinal mushrooms are considered food-grade and safe to consume daily at moderate-large doses.

Dosage: 1 -1.5 grams per day (approx. 500 mg or 1 tsp. of powder three x a day). If you’re eating it fresh, 3-15 grams per day is enough.

Preparations: the fresh fruiting body is excellent when sliced and sauteed, baked or added to soups. The dried mushroom can be decocted, tinctured in alcohol or ground into a powder.

You can find lion’s mane powder in our Matcha Latte Blend

*This information is for educational purposes only and is not intended to diagnose or treat any disease